Elgin Courier - Thursday,
December 16, 1971
NATIVE ELGINITE PASSES
Samuel Henry (Sam) Culp, 78, native Elgin resident, died December 3, 1971,
at Fleming Memorial Hospital.
Funeral was Sunday, December 5, at the First Baptist Church with Rev.
W. Ray Head officiating. Miller-Newby Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
Burial was in Elgin City Cemetery.
Pall bearers were David Culp, Henry Culp, H.V. Culp, Jr., Raymond Culp,
Lawrence Matetzschk, and Ray Culp.
Mr. Culp was born August 24, 1893, to James Henry and Rebecca Culp in
Elgin. He was a long time member of the Elgin Baptist Church and had served
as church treasurer and as a deacon.
He maintained a lively interest in baseball, both as a player and later
as a spectator. He caught his last competitive game after age 60.
From 1915 to 1943 Mr. Culp was an Elgin merchant having had his store
located at different time in the south and north business sections. From
1943 until his 1961 retirement he was business manager of the local
Great tribute was paid to
the memory of this friendly citizen in that
his real base of living always included his friends. Whether he came to know
them through work, leisure or his church, he had a greeting and ready
conversation for them. With Mr. Culp, friendship was no formula, it was a genuine reflection
of whet he felt for others.
Survivors are his wife, Ella Mae; one son, Howard; one granddaughter,
Tami; and two grandsons, Stephen and David, of